Sunday, 2 December 2012

Passion - Passionfruit & Mango Entremet



This was the birthday cake I made for myself last week.
I was planning to make a mousse cake with honeydew melon, coconut & pineapple.
But I didn't have time to get all the ingredients so I changed my plan at the last minute.
I flipped through piles of cookbooks cosily on the sofa.
I can't find the combo I like so I took a few recipes from Le Goût Authentique Retrouvé by Hidemi Sugino & that's how I got to this cake.


"Passion" has 4 layers: genoise, passionfruit creme, mango mousse & lemon cream cheese mousse.
The recipes I took from the book are passionfruit creme & cream cheese mousse.
There're less gelatine in Hidemi's recipes for a smoother & lighter texture.
The cake is light & fragrant with fragrant mango mousse, refreshing lemon cream cheese mousse & exotic passionfruit creme layer.
For the decoration, I simply used white chocolate shards & tied with a red ribbon for a festive look.


I made this into a 6" square entremet & a few cups of mousse.
I think with this recipe it's better make in a 8" round cake.

Passion (8" round):
Recipe adapted from Le Goût Authentique Retrouvé by Hidemi Sugino
Genoise Blanche
90 g eggs
35 g sugar
7 g honey
25 g plain flour
12.5 corn flour
5 g unsalted butter
6 g milk

Preheat oven to 160C, line a parchment paper on a large baking pan.
Combine butter & milk, warm to 40C.
Combine eggs, honey & sugar in a large mixing bowl & sit over a pan of simmering water, beat with electric beater at high speed until hot then remove from heating.
Continue beating for another 8-10 min until pale & fluffy.
Fold in the flour gently.
Fold in the milk until smooth.
Bake for 12-15 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool on a wired rack.

Sauce aux Fruits de la Passion
56 g passion fruit puree
1 egg (L)
45 g sugar
70 g unsalted butter, softened
2 g sheet gelatine, bloomed

Wrap the base of a 7" round mousse ring with cling film.
In a small saucepan, heat the passionfruit puree, eggs & sugar over gentle heat.
Whisk whilst heating until the curd begins to thicken.
Remove from heating, stir in the butter & bloomed gelatine.
Pour into the prepared ring & freeze.

Mousse à la Mangue
150 g whipping cream, whipped
120 g mango puree
3 g sheet gelatine, bloomed

Italian Meringue
1 egg white (L)
60 g sugar
15 g water

In a small saucepan, bring mango puree to boil & remove from heating.
Stir in the bloomed gelatine & set aside.
Make italian meringue, bring sugar & water to 115-120C, carefully & slowly pour it to egg white with whisking to stiff & shining peaks.
Fold mango puree with whipped cream then the italian meringue.
Pour on top of the passionfruit cream & freeze.

Mousse au Fromage Blanc
400 g whipping cream, whipped
350 g cream cheese
40 g lemon juice
12 g sheet gelatine, bloomed

Pâte à Bombe
80 g egg yolks
100 g sugar
25 g water

In a small saucepan, bring lemon juice to boil & remove from heating.
Stir in the bloomed gelatine & fold with cream cheese.
Make pate a bombe, bring sugar & water to 115-120C, carefully & slowly pour it to egg yolks with whisking to light & fluffy foam.
Fold cream cheese with whipped cream then the pate a bombe.

Assembling
Cut the genoise into a 7" round disc & place at the bottom of the mousse ring.
Remove the frozen passion fruit jelly & mango mousse layer from the mould & carefully place on top of the cake.
Pour the cream cheese mousse over the top & refrigerate to set.
Remove from the mould & decorate with some white chocolate shards. 

6 comments:

  1. Yue, this is so gorgeous!!!!!! You are unbelievably talented in making your food into art. My birthday is soon as well and I really want to make a cake for myself haha! I think I know where will I be looking for decoration inspiration :] Also, there is this game going on, I taged you in it, if you've got some free time, perhaps you'd like to join? :] http://missnak.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/salad-and-game.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your nice words :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Yue! I stumbled upon your blog, as I am a huge fan of Hidemi Sugino's art of dessert. Sadly I am not that great at baking yet and still evolving. This Entremet is truly gorgeous and it's perfect as my Birthday cake which happens to be next week :P. I hope I will have the time to bake something complicated, beautiful and delicious. I'm off to further explore your creations. Have a great week. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks stopping by & hope you enjoy surfing through my blog :)

      Delete
  3. Every weekend i used to go to see this site, for the reason that i want enjoyment, as this this web site
    conations truly nice funny material too.
    Feel free to surf my blog vitamins for tmj

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is surely a very good blog, thanks a lot for sharing such nice information here.
    Mango Exporter in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails