Monday 19 April 2010

Passion Fruit & Caramel Coffee Mousse Cake

The weekend was nice & warm.
I have a few friends had their birthdays last weekend but I only made one birthday cake for a close friend that I have known for 8 years.
He has helped my family & me a lot since I came over to England.




The cake had 2 flavours: passion fruit & caramel coffee.
I wasn't sure about this combination but I thought it'd be a great combo in my mind.
I was delighted by the result, the cake was great!
The refreshing taste from passion fruit + the intense sweetness from caramel coffee.


I also make 2 small ones for each flavour.
I wanted to try how would it be just a single flavour.
Caramel coffee mousse was rich as I expected & the passion fruit mousse was refreshing & fruity.


My brother has set up the lighting so that I can shoot photographs of the jewelry I've made.
I'm in the process of editing the pictures so the shop will be opened soon.
After that, I took some pictures of the flowers blooming in the garden.

When the spring arrives, I see sakura (cherry blossom) blooming on my way to my college.
I'm excited because I always wanted to get myself some salt-pickled sakura, which I can't find in London.
Pickled sakura is used as tea or for Japanese desserts.
I'm planning to pickle sakura & make some desserts from it.

Recipe (8'' round mousse ring):


Chocolate cake
4 eggs
65g sugar
50g plain flour
15g cocoa powder
30g olive oil
35g milk

Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper marked with 8'' circles.
In large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 15g of sugar until thick & pale, then fold in the olive oil.
Mix & sieve all flours, then mix the flours with the egg yolks, pour in milk & fold until smooth.
In another large bowl, whisk the egg white & sugar (added in 3 portions) until stiff.
Mix a spatula of whipped egg white with the chocolate batter.
Pour the remaining whipped egg white & fold gently until smooth.
Pipe the batter over the marked circles & bake in a preheated oven at 180’C for 10 - 15 min.
Remove from the oven & cool on rack.
Cut out 2 round cake bases using a 8'' mousse ring.

Caramel coffee mousse:
60g sugar (caramel)
60g whipping cream (caramel)

6g instant coffee
6g gelatine
50g water
2 egg yolks
60g sugar
240g whipping cream

In the saucepan, stir together sugar & 1 tbsp of water over medium heat & cook until dark amber colour.
Remove from heating, slowly add the whipping cream & stir to dissolve the caramel, set aside to cool.

Dissolve coffee & gelatine in water over simmering water.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks to break them up.
In a small saucepan, heat the sugar with 1 tbsp of water to 118'C, then slowly pour over the egg yolks with stirring, then stir in the coffee batter.
When coffee batter has cooled, fold in the fully whipped cream.
Place the mousse in a piping bag.
Place a cake base on the bottom of a 8'' ring, pipe in half of the mousse.
Top with another piece of chocolate cake & pipe in the remaining remaining mousse & refrigerate until set.

Passion fruit cheese mousse:
250g cream cheese
150g whipping cream
100g passion fruit pulp
50g sugar
50g water
8g gelatine

Dissolve gelatin in hot water.
Whisk cream cheese with sugar until smooth.
Whisk the whipping cream to soft peaks then fold in the cheese mixture.
Fold in the passion fruit pulp & then the gelatine solution.
Pour over the caramel coffee mousse then refrigerate to set.

Passion fruit jelly:
120ml water
30ml passion fruit pulp
20g sugar
3g gelatin

Bring the sugar, water & passion fruit pulp to boil then add in the gelatine, stir until dissolve.
Let the syrup cool down.
Pour over the top & refrigerate again to set.
Decorate with whipped cream & white chocolate flakes or as you like.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What gorgeous photos!! These desserts look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails